Sunday, November 29, 2009

A Kid's Treasure Hunt

I have a little confession to make, its so embarrassing. Im one of "those moms" I didnt even realize it! I pushed 7 year old toys on my 4 year old only to wonder why he would get mad at them, had him reading by 4 and had a million LeapPad items to make him smarter plus a gazillion work books, all thinking he was extremely gifted and would become a peace prize winner at 12 LOL. well hes bright like lots of other kids mashaallah but im just stupid. while trying to be hyper mom one thing i didnt focus on was structure and chores bed time routine was about it and that thank God runs smoothly.
so hopefully now i know i can reform, maybe he'll forgive me one day :P

recently I decided to organize the toys bins. I tell the boys to clean and they complain they dont know where anything goes so I got rid of that problem. I printed labels with pictures on each bin of the most used toys


Bins have been looking great since then and I can see we have way too much stuff that doesnt fit in there, time for stuff to go! I noticed a pattern of certain things always kicking around on the floor. once night i decided instead of lecturing we'd have a Treasure Hunt and picked Dirty Socks on the Floor as the booty. Worked great!



and the best part of it, it played right into Zubayr's natural 6 year old desire to be "The Winner". just beating his brother at something is motivation enough. I dont think he really grasps the concept of a cleaner house being the prize. so we made Treasure Hunt Clues of things that are constantly a problem and set the timer to see who can get the most of each object.



Its been such a hit Zubayr asks me to do random Treasure Hunts, even though we built it into our bedtime routine. Uthman (3) kinda helps but he's in the stage where its super fabulous to be doing the opposite of what Mommy asks so Im just ignoring it, sometimes he puts one or two things away. Zubayr on the other hand is super proud to see his name in lights as the days winner. and im so happy i found a way to stop repeating myself and being ignored :)

No comments:

Post a Comment