Sunday, December 13, 2009

Making Bonket

So many intended projects swirling in my head! I decided to give myself a small goal of finishing 2 of them last weekend: making Bonket, a family recipe from my husband's grandmother, and reclaiming yarn from an unwanted sweater (aka upcycling it). I simply wanted the practice of completing something from start to finish in a given time frame. Turns out the Bonket is a little labor intensive and took up most of the weekend free time, a good lesson about organizing time.


Bonket is a pastry roll with almond paste rolled up into it, it is delicious warm and of course with some coffee!

My sister in law sent me this recipe, the notes are hers

Bonket
Recipe from Jacqueline Winchester Lammers

Pastry

1 pound margarine or butter (I prefer to use butter)
4 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup ice water

Blend as for pie crust and chill well. Divide into eight equal pieces.


Filling

1 pound almond paste, crumbled
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 egg white for brushing top of pastry stick

Mix well and chill. Cut into eight equal pieces.

Roll one-eighth of dough very thin – about 12 by 14 inch piece. Roll one eighth of filling into long pencil-shaped pieces about 13 inches long. Starting at the edge of the pastry, roll filling up into it. Seal ends and brush with egg white. Sprinkle with sugar.

Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet (I like to line with parchment paper) in a preheated oven at 450 degrees Farenheit until light brown – about 15 to 12 minutes. Remove from pan immediately.

The pastry and filling mixtures will keep in the refrigerator for about a week. Once baked, it keeps well for several days, and can be frozen. Each stick serves four and is best warmed through before serving.

----

Note: I think the Bonket is supposed to look a little fancier than mine came out, I was told poking holes in the roll might help. But the taste was right. Warning! if you make all 8 get them the ones you want to give away out of your house promptly, its too good to resist.

Maybe next week I will have a tutorial to post on upcycling yarn, but maybe not :)

Here's some thought on time management for hobbies and projects
  • read up on what you want to do first, noting what supplies you need. Having a clear picture of what you want to do and having everything together saves time.
  • some tasks are better to nickle and dime your time with, some here some there. Others seem more enjoyable and efficient to shut the world out for an hour and just finish
  • only do something if you really want to, and only finish something that's worth it, if 100 pages into a novel you're bored why bother?
Any tips or recipes to share?

1 comment:

  1. Well I better make these before the sugar-free challenge or I'll be in trouble with myself lol...These look great and cannot wait to give them a try. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe with us.

    ReplyDelete