Sunday, May 30, 2010

The earth is from the Shuhood

"That day it will declare its information about all that happened good or evil." Surah 99:4

Ibn Kathir explains with regards to this particular Ayah: The earth is from the Shuhood (witnesses) for or against you. That those places that the people committed sin in, then the earth will bear witness against you and as for the places that the person has done righteousness in, then the earth will also be a witness for you. It's either a witness for you or against you. So this particular matter shows us that the earth itself will testify and it will speak with regards to that which had taken place upon it. 

more here
 


"A young heron sits dying amidst oil splattering underneath mangrove on an island impacted by oil from the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in Barataria Bay, along the the coast of Louisiana on Sunday, May 23, 2010." (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)


Following the story of the BP oil spill has just clinched it for me that I'd really like to drop out of this destructive culture. I don't need a factory farm cow to die for my leather handbag or a toxic leaching brand new cell phone. I don't need ecosystems and native communities to perish for my electric bill. I'd like to grow my own, make my own, be off the grid and support people who do the same. It would mean, in the long run, totally transforming my family's lifestyle as it is now, but I really want to strive harder for this, inshaAllah.

No comments:

Post a Comment