Saturday, July 31, 2010

An Easy Indian Food Iftar!

Finally a really easy Indian dish as far as time and effort goes. I love love love Indian food but I stopped cooking it some time ago, too much prep, too many steps. I'm sure if that is your main way of cooking you just fall into a rhythm and a system, but I just want it once and a while. So, I was so happy to find this slow cooker recipe.

This will be great for Ramadan, here on the east coast I think it will end up being a 18 hour fast, I am trying to rely on the freezer and crock pot more this time around

Crock Pot Chicken Vindaloo
Prep Time: 10 mins Total Time: 5 1/4 hrs min Serves: 3

Ingredients

          o 3 tablespoons vinegar
          o 3 garlic cloves, minced
          o 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh ginger
          o 3/4 tablespoon curry powder
          o 1 tablespoon ground cumin
          o 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
          o 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
          o 1/4 teaspoon hot pepperground
          o 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
          o 2 tablespoons olive oil
          o 1 cup tomato sauce
          o 1 cinnamon sticks
          o 1 small onions, chopped
          o 3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, quartered
          o 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped

Directions

   1. Puree first 10 ingredients in a blender.
   2. Pour into the crock pot, add tomato sauce, cinnamon stick and onion and mix well.
   3. Add chicken and turn to cover.
   4. Cook on low for 5 hours.
   5. Sprinkle with chopped parsley before serving.
   6. Serve with rice or rolls, enjoy

I made this on a day I was just  dragging my feet about cooking, being the lazy chef that I made some mods:
I used frozen chicken thighs instead, I didn't start it until 1pm so I turned it up to high for 5 hours instead of low. I didn't put anything in the blender, just dumped it all in the pot, I didn't have any more curry powder on hand so I subbed with garam masala, instead of using plain tomato sauce I just recycled some garden style veggie spaghetti sauce, and I subbed hot pepper for black pepper hoping the kids would try it (they didn't).

It came out great, mashaallah, I only had to step in a stir b/c the thighs were frozen, once they loosened up a bit I could coat them with the sauce. When they came out the meat was falling off the bone, the way I like it mashaallah! The only dh feedback I got was that breasts might be better b/c with the thighs you can get a lot of rubbery fat parts from the bone. Eh, I don't mind so much since the darker meat is so much cheaper, but I'll give it a go next time.

2 comments:

  1. WOW this looks yummy!
    I've got all the necessary ingredients which means I HAVE to try! (I only have a blender for making juice - does that work?)
    I didn't know you can put frozen chicken without defreezing - pretty convenient.
    Thank you for sharing the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. as salaamu alaikum ukhti let me know how you like it, i don't know if a juicer will work, but you know you really don't need to, I just threw it in.

    ReplyDelete