Saturday, December 3, 2011

Hoot Bil Rooz - Middle Eastern Fish With Rice

This recipe came from the book "Authentic Etiquette of Eating and Hosting from the Qur'aan and Sunnah" Anyone remember this book?? I've had it for over 10 years. I used to make this dish from time to time and forgot about it, the zawj requested and when we were talking about eating more fish. I used cod for this, I found some really fresh and comparably well priced frozen cod from a local sustainable seafood company Sea Star Corp, you might be able to find them in your store, too.

Original directions show how to arrange this in a tajin (clay pot) I don't have one or know anyone who does, so I left that out.

Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs. fish (sea bass or any white fish cut into individual size steaks
  • 2 cups rice
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 tomatoes, quartered (optional)
  • 1 lemon (preferably unwaxed), sliced
  • salt to taste
Marinade Ingredients:
  • 1-2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
  • 2 teaspoons coriander powder
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (chili powder)
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
  • 3 tablespoons pureed garlic
  • 4 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
  • 2 tablespoons oil 
  • 2-3 lemons, juiced
Directions:

  • Combine marinade ingredients in a cooking pot. 
  • Add fish and coat well
  • Marinate for 2 hours or overnight in the fridge (I've done 30 minutes and it came out fine)
  • Heat on low heat, cover and cook fish, turning occasionally for 20 minutes or until cooked
  • Remove fish from pot, set aside and keep warm, leave juices and sauce in pot
  • Add rice, water, tomatoes, lemon slices, and salt to pot, stir well and cover tightly
  • Bring to biol and reduce heat to low.
  • When rice is nearly cooked add fish and recover.
  • Cook until rice is done.

2 comments:

  1. I really need to eat more fish! I am your newest follower saw your page on facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alhamdulillah Karima, thanks for joining me here too. I love seeing your projects and crafts

    ReplyDelete